Feb. 9-10: The Vagina Monologues (Benefit Performance for RAWA,etc.)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 8 19:29:55 MST 2002

Thursday, Feb. 14
The Vagina Monologues
9:30-11 p.m. EST on HBO

Eve Ensler performs her controversial but wildly successful and
award-winning one-woman show in this HBO special. Filmmakers also
interview Ms. Ensler about the impulses behind the work, and they follow
this former journalist as she interviews a wide variety of women about
their bodily experiencesd, both good and bad. The show airs on V-Day, a
day dedicated to the prevention of violence against women and girls
around the world.

Carrol

Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> From: "S Chatterjee" <schatterjee2001 at yahoo.com>
> > What self-hatred, demeaning, and degrading reference to women, forwarded
> > by 'left, anti-sexist women liberators'. This on a Marxism list!
> >

> You wouldn't be a little bit prudish... would you?

I think it is more than prudishness -- it is an arrogant assumption that
he can dictate to women the terms of their liberation. I have not seen
the show nor read it, and it probably is "bourgeois feminism." Until an
actual communist feminism exists in practice, however, marxists who
sincerely aim at the unity and strength of the working class must pay
their respects to such feminism.

Carrol