what to make of "conspiracy theories"?

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Mon Feb 11 16:47:32 MST 2002

Jim, why do you include Greg Palast?
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department
California State University
Chico, CA 95929

Hi Michael,

So good to hear from you. Well I know why you are asking because Greg Palast
does the most serious job and has the most serious analysis of the lot in my
opinion. I include Greg Palast (for those who have not been to his website
it is at http://gregpalast.com with some good stuff on "Theft of the
Presidency and on Enron) because his central focus is still making the
system "run better" or pointing out "corruption" or "corrupt elites", when
the real problem is the whole damn system itself--the "corrupt elites" being
mere microcosm or concentrated expressions of a whole corrupt system that,
by virtue of its inner and defining power structures, imperatives of
"survival", "logic" and derivative vicissitudes and trajectories can only
produce mounting misery and corruption on larger and larger scales. I find
in the analyses of Palast and the others no real connection between the core
features,imperatives and "logic" of capitalism as a system and the
particular expressions of corruption and conspiracies that Palast writes
about.

Hope you are well and stay well.

Jim