what to make of "conspiracy theories"?

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Mon Feb 11 18:42:40 MST 2002

Thanks for your analysis of Palast.  I don't think that any journalist in
the corporate media can do much beyond pointing out the foibles of the
rich and powerful.  Could you imagine BBC broadcasting a call for the end
of capitalism?
 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

No Michael, not on BBC, CBC or whatever. I will say however, that Palast has
been investigating Enron for example for years and that BBC will put some
stuff on that U.S. networks would never touch in a million years; now
Palast, who has been in "exile" so long his kids have English accents, has
been moving into some very interesting areas. There is an interview with him
on "Democracy Now" (sorry for the plug for Pacifica) at
http://www.webactive.com/pacifica/demnow/dn20020205.html#1 useing real
player (It is worth listening to and even recording for your classes).

But there was a time when "journalists" like I.F. Stone, George Seldes,
Wilfred Burchette and others saw any "conspiracies" as shadows or
manifestations of a whole ugly, predatory and destructive system unfolding
by virtue of its inner, defining and very ugly features and "logic".

Best to you and everyone.

Jim