DC Homeless Died of Cold in Capital

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:43:52 MST 2002

I sent a friend in Canada a posting about poor people dieing of cold
in the capital city of the United States of America.  He replied:

Sorry to tell you this is also the case in Toronto. The last four years
are
the only times in my lifetime that I have heard of homeless people
freezing
to death in Toronto. We now have special patrols from charities rounding
up
people on cold nights or checking on them and asking them to come in to
the
shelters. The city now has special cold alert nights where emergency
beds
are made available.

[Canada, especially Ontario and now British Columbia are under
under regimes similar to the fast-track privatization/commodification
operation in the rest of the "civilized world" as Don Rumsfeld calls
it.]

Response (Jim C): Sorry, but I have heard for many years of homeless people
dying in Toronto and elsewhere all over Canada and the U.S. They are called
"Indians." Because there is little link-up between many homeless activists
or shelters for the homeless and Indigenous communities, homeless Indians
just die in some back street and are never in the stats or in the news.

Jim Craven