DC Homeless Died of Cold in Capital

Chris Brady cdbrady at attglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 12:06:07 MST 2002

Hey, Jim,
Ironically I just received a reply from a friend in Vancouver BC
to whom I forwarded a clip in ref to an ongoing discussion. He writes:

Switch the word "black" for "native" and you pretty much have Canada.

> "Media images of the poor are disproportionately black. While
>  African Americans make up about 30 percent of the poor, about 60
>  percent of the poor people shown on network television news and
>  depicted in the major newsweeklies between 1988 and 1992 were black.
>  Similarly, the media portray the black poor in a disproportionately
>  negative light. Every single picture in newsweekly stories about
>  the "underclass"--the ghetto poor--between 1950 and 1992 showed
>  African Americans. In more sympathetic stories about predicaments
>  such as hunger or medical care among the poor, only about one-fourth
>  of the people pictured were black...
>
> Why Americans Hate Welfare :
Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy
(Studies in Communication, Media, and Public Opinion)
by Martin Gilens
Hardcover - 296 pages
University of Chicago Press (June 1999)