Milosevic Begins Criminal Defense by Assailing NATO

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 15 16:43:43 MST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:31:50 +1000, Gary MacLennan wrote:
>You are being a bit cryptic here Lou. I
>interpret this as a kind of  impatience with a
>nationalist defence when what is needed is an
>international attack on imperialism.

Of course we couldn't expect anything like this from Milosevic, but
when Castro was on trial in 1953 for an abortive attack on the
Moncadas barracks, he made a famous speech that concludes with the
words "History Will Absolve Me". Here is an excerpt:

In terms of struggle, when we talk about people we're talking about
the six hundred thousand Cubans without work, who want to earn their
daily bread honestly without having to emigrate from their homeland
in search of a livelihood; the five hundred thousand farm laborers
who live in miserable shacks, who work four months of the year and
starve the rest, sharing their misery with their children, who don't
have an inch of land to till and whose existence would move any heart
not made of stone; the four hundred thousand industrial workers and
laborers whose retirement funds have been embezzled, whose benefits
are being taken away, whose homes are wretched quarters, whose
salaries pass from the hands of the boss to those of the moneylender,
whose future is a pay reduction and dismissal, whose life is endless
work and whose only rest is the tomb; the one hundred thousand small
farmers who live and die working land that is not theirs, looking at
it with the sadness of Moses gazing at the promised land, to die
without ever owning it, who like feudal serfs have to pay for the use
of their parcel of land by giving up a portion of its produce, who
cannot love it, improve it, beautify it nor plant a cedar or an
orange tree on it because they never know when a sheriff will come
with the rural guard to evict them from it; the thirty thousand
teachers and professors who are so devoted, dedicated and so
necessary to the better destiny of future generations and who are so
badly treated and paid; the twenty thousand small business men
weighed down by debts, ruined by the crisis and harangued by a plague
of grafting and venal officials; the ten thousand young professional
people: doctors, engineers, lawyers, veterinarians, school teachers,
dentists, pharmacists, newspapermen, painters, sculptors, etc., who
finish school with their degrees anxious to work and full of hope,
only to find themselves at a dead end, all doors closed to them, and
where no ears hear their clamor or supplication. These are the
people, the ones who know misfortune and, therefore, are capable of
fighting with limitless courage! To these people whose desperate
roads through life have been paved with the bricks of betrayal and
false promises, we were not going to say: 'We will give you ...' but
rather: 'Here it is, now fight for it with everything you have, so
that liberty and happiness may be yours!'

full:
www.marxists.org/history/cuba/archive/castro/works/1953/history.htm

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org