Fwd (GLW): ACEH: `Australia is helping the army to kill my people'

Alan Bradley abradley1 at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 19 05:16:51 MST 2002

The following article appears in the current issue of Green Left Weekly
(http://www.greenleft.org.au ):

ACEH: `Australia is helping the army to kill my people'
BY MAX LANE

"It was extremely disappointing to see Australian Prime Minister John Howard
shake hands so enthusiastically with Indonesia's President Megawati
Sukarnoputri. Doesn't he know how her government treats the people, not just
in Aceh, but all over Indonesia?", Aceh's outspoken democracy leader Kautsar
told Green Left Weekly. Kautsar is chairperson of the Acehnese People's
Democratic Resistance Front (FPDRA), which campaigns for Acehnese
independence and for democratic rights for all the people of Indonesia.

Kautsar was imprisoned for six months last year after he helped organise a
protest against the US oil giant ExxonMobil. He was freed after a court
cleared him of the police charges.

<The remainder of the article can be found on the Green Left website.>