Forwarded from Paul Buhle on Zulu

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 19 09:54:40 MST 2002

just one or two other elements that I'd add: first, Endfield gave private
testimony to HUAC on a return to the US, briefly, in 1960 or thereabouts;
it did him no good, but he thought it would open up Hollywood. He had
changed from his HOllywood Left days and made bitter comments toward the end.
second, his career was reshaped by actor Stanley Baker in several ways. He
and Baker formed a production company (SANDS OF KALAHARI is a truly
anti-imperialist film, in my view,tho also deeply cynical in many ways
about the human condition) and it's said that ZULU had every available
Scottish (or was it Welsh?) actor working in the British film industry.

Louis Proyect