question on Argentina

Mike Yates myates at monthlyreview.org
Tue Feb 19 14:31:35 MST 2002

[ converted frmo HTML. Les]

Perhaps someone on the list can answer this for me.  I understand that the
Argentine gov't. in the early 1980s actually assumed the foreign debt of both
multinational and domestic companies.  Were these debts denominated in dollars?
I also understand that the government paid a subsidy to the firms whose debts
were assumed because the peso was losing value.

Can anyone explain the mechanics of this process?  I don't understand it.

You can reply to me at myates at monthlyreview.org

Michael Yates