Winds of Change

Danielle Ni Dhighe nidhighe at irsm.org
Fri Feb 22 17:52:31 MST 2002

Winds of Change
by Jimmy Anderson

You can fill my horizon - With storm clouds and driving rain
Fill my world with hopelessness - tears, despair and pain.
You can steal my dreams - and all the visions that they hold
Take away all I ever loved - leave me standing numb and cold.
Make every road I walk - a mountain for me to climb,
Weigh me down - Make me old and grey long before my time.

But I shall not be defeated
When all your wicked deeds are done,
For I am a song of Freedom
And one day I shall be sung,
Yes I shall rise above you
On the winds of change soon to come.

You can lock me in your prison - Throw away the key
Make me walk in darkness - hide the morning sun from me.
You can call me by a number - Shackle me in chains,
Torment me till the bitterness - flows like ice in my veins.
Yes, make me rage - make me hate the day that I was born,
Laugh at my struggles - treat me with contempt and scorn.

But I shall not be defeated
When all your wicked deeds are done,
For I am a song of Freedom
And one day I shall be sung,
Yes I shall rise above you
On the winds of change soon to come.

You can beat me - till my body's beaten beyond all hurt
Humiliate me, drag me - through all the shame and dirt.
You can discriminate against me - abuse my dignity,
Tear my heart apart - with your talons of hypocrisy.
Chain me in your dungeons - chain me in poverty,
Chain me in your ghettoes - strip the very soul from me.