On anti-Semitism was Re: Background on the death of Daniel Pearl

Gary Maclennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 19:15:38 MST 2002

>This was murder to kill a human being because he was
>Jewish. I believe as revolutionary marxists we need to openly and public
>condemn this act.
>
>Tom Siblo

Of course, absolutely;this was a foul act.  But it like S11 plays yet again
into the hands of the Bush Administration.

The latter need anti-semitism.  For instance for years they have publicised
the anti-semitism of the Saudi regime while militarily supporting that same
regime.  Similarly they need  to write anti-Zionism as anti-semitism e.g.
the recent attack on Pilger's critique of Israel.

However it is important to note that unfortunately the antics of the
butchers in Tel Aviv have done more to kindle anti-semitism, even on the
Left, than any crude propaganda from the Islamic world.

We on the Left are generally careful (and so we must be) to make a
distinction between "Israelis" and "Jews", but alas outside politically
aware circles , no such distinctions are made and more and more Jews are
being held responsible for the brutal actions of the Israelis.

regards

Gary