Savimbi Dead

marco . cuito61 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:40:07 MST 2002

I was wondering if comrades on the list would like to discuss Savimbi's
death and what it means for the present and future of Angola.  I myself am a
person of Portuguese descent, both of my parents having been born and raised
in Luanda, Angola.  For many years I have been aware of the tremendous
suffering and pain of the Angolan people caused by centuries of domination
by the Portuguese and the Civil War.  We always used to say, "If only
Savimbi died, this would be over."  But is it that simple?  Will the death
of one man bring peace to Angola?  And even if the war ends, does it make a
real difference?  One million people have been killed by the war, and
certainly for the war to end would be a tremendous step forward.  But will
the MPLA continue to be a puppet of transnational corporate capitalism?  How
do people see the real conditions of everyday life improving for the Angolan
people?

///
We declare our right on this earth ... to be a human being, to be respected
as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society,
on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any
means necessary. -Malcolm X
///