Fraternities, Freemasons and Cults

D OC donaloc at peterquinn.com
Wed Jul 3 02:52:12 MDT 2002

In regard to Freemasons - the issue has always interested me because of
their interlinkages with the Orange Order and the highest levels of the
British oligarchy/establishment.

The Order of the Purple Arch - which some are referring to as the Order of
the Arch - stands above the masons and seems to have immense control. Most
of the central members of the Orange Order are also members of the
freemasons and then the Purple Arch. Clearly, they don't miss the
opportunity to talk over politics with one another and would share a very
hard right wing opinion about issues as varied as tax reform, public order
and maintenance of the 'United Kingdom'.

There is a book written about the Purple Arch by someone who just got
completely fed up of it all and decided to spill the beans. If someone is
interested I might be able to find out the details. The Freemasons seem
intent on opening up their doors to the public - to distract with their
silly procedures - yet they will not offer listings of members (I wonder
why).

I remember hearing rumours that Charles Windsor was forced to dump his
Catholic girlfriend (the Act of Supremacy forbids the Royal Family to marry
Catholics), due largely to the influence of the Freemasons in England. Let
no-one say that the Freemasons, which constitute somewhere near 90% of the
police force in England, are not powerful players.

As for other secret societies - my father-in-law is very active in the
Ancient Order of Foresters - it was a society which offered working-class
people social insurance and access to a mutual fund before the 1940s - after
that it contracted and became merely a social adjunct. He tells me that with
the retreat of the British Welfare State, the society is starting to acquire
a new importance in terms of financial-support. It seems that many secret
societies, which had origins in the poorer strata, went on to coalesce with
trade unions in England in the late 1800s. From the pictures on the wall in
his office, the Foresters were run by professionals trying to be
'charitable' to the deprived lower classes - that's probably why they
survived as an independent organisation and didn't become an integral part
of the nascient labour movement - although it seems to have overlapped with
it considerably. Today, they compete in the pensions and insurance market as
a mutual charity with the huge private sector players - I'm not sure that
the Foresters may survive the next 20 years - the only thing that will keep
members from selling out their stake is the social and cultural aspects.
Most of the profits get spent on massive soirees and sending elderly people
to the societys' residential home (which is shared with a few others e.g.
the odd-fellows, etc).

Domhnall.