Threats against anti-Zionist Jews

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jul 9 06:28:20 MDT 2002

The Independent, 09 July 2002

A strange kind of freedom
by Robert Fisk

We all know about the perils of Islamic fanaticism. But, says Robert Fisk,
the biggest threat to liberty in the US may come from other kinds of
fundamentalism: Jewish and Christian

Inside the First Congregational Church of Berkeley, the Californian
audience had been struck silent. Dennis Bernstein, the Jewish host of KPFA
Radio's Flashpoint current affairs programme, was reading some recent
e-mails that he had received from Israel's supporters in America. Each one
left the people in the church – Muslims, Jews, Christians – in a state of
shock. "You mother-fucking-asshole-self-hating Jewish piece of shit. Hitler
killed the wrong Jews. He should have killed your parents, so a piece of
Jewish shit like you would not have been born. God willing, Arab terrorists
will cut you to pieces Daniel Pearl-style, AMEN!!!"

Bernstein's sin was to have covered the story of Israel's invasion of Jenin
in April and to have interviewed journalists who investigated the killings
that took place there – including Phil Reeves and Justin Huggler of The
Independent – for his Flashpoint programme. Bernstein's grandfather was a
revered Orthodox Rabbi of international prominence but neither his family
history nor his origins spared him. "Read this and weep, you mother-fucker
self-hating Jew boy!!!" another e-mail told Bernstein. "God willing a
Palestinian will murder you, rape your wife and slash your kids' throats."
Yet another: "I hope that you, Barbara Lubin and all other Jewish Marxist
Communist traitors anti-American cop haters will die a violent and cruel
death just like the victims of suicide bombers in Israel." Lubin is also
Jewish, the executive director of the Middle East Children's Alliance, a
one-time committed Zionist but now one of Israel's fiercest critics. Her
e-mails are even worse.

Indeed, you have to come to America to realise just how brave this small
but vocal Jewish community is. Bernstein is the first to acknowledge that a
combination of Israeli lobbyists and conservative Christian fundamentalists
have in effect censored all free discussion of Israel and the Middle East
out of the public domain in the US. "Everyone else is terrified," Bernstein
says. "The only ones who begin to open their mouths are the Jews in this
country. You know, as a kid, I sent money to plant trees in Israel. But now
we are horrified by a government representing a country that we grew up
loving and cherishing. Israel's defenders have a special vengeance for Jews
who don't fall in line behind Sharon's scorched-earth policy because they
give the lie to the charge that Israel's critics are simply anti-Semite."

full: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=313235

Louis Proyect