UCLA students rate Perry Anderson and Robert Brenner

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 10 08:38:37 MDT 2002

Review posted on 5/25/2002 at 1:05:59 PM
It is true that Professor Anderson mumbles at the end of every sentence,
making it hard to take notes even if you sit in the front row. He does not
make eye contact with students. He give terse answers if you ask a
question. You have five minutes to finish the midterm. He is unavailable,
locks his door, and has no email. He does not answer written inquiries. He
does give you the questions to choose from for your in-class final essay,
but his grading makes no sense whatsoever, and he is unavailable to discuss
it. The class seems easy, but because of his grading, you can't bet on a
good grade. He teaches like he would rather be anywhere else but in the
classroom.

http://www.bruinwalk.com/professors/profile.asp?ID=780

===

Review posted on 3/22/2001 at 11:37:43 PM
Brenner is the worst professor I have ever had in my entire 3 years at
UCLA. His lectures are poorly structured and poorly organized, and he does
a very poor job of explaining difficult concepts. In addition, his tests
are awful. Most people did so poorly on the midterm that he made it
optional whether or not to include the midterm as part of one's grade. The
final is no better; it is a memorization and regurgitation of facts. People
with no previous background in Marxism should avoid Brenner's Marxism class
at all costs. I'd rather poke my eye out with a dull stick than ever have
to sit through another lecture with the atrocity that is Brenner!

http://www.bruinwalk.com/professors/profile.asp?ID=783

Louis Proyect