NY Times discovers class

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 13 09:52:08 MDT 2002

NY Times, July 13, 2002
Q & A
Welcome to the Working Class!

Michael Zweig is professor of economics at the State University of New
York at Stony Brook, where in 1999 he founded the Group for the Study of
Working Class Life, an interdisciplinary center that studies the impact
of class. Professor Zweig is also the author of "The Working Class
Majority: America's Best Kept Secret" (Cornell University Press, 2000).
Felicia R. Lee spoke with him.

Q: How are you defining "class," and how does it differ from popular
conceptions?

A: The common way that people talk in the popular culture and also in
some sociology and other academic literature is to understand class as
income. Or it's a matter of lifestyle: a person has class, they wear
fancy clothes, they eat at good restaurants, they know which fork to
use. I think those ways of looking at society are not very helpful.
There are rich people, but to me, it's most helpful to understand class
as power.

When I say middle class, what is it in the middle of? It's in the middle
of labor and capital, not necessarily in the middle of income distribution.

Over the last 30 years, when the working class has been taking it in the
neck, the middle class got divided. Those people in the middle class
most closely associated in their lives and their work with the working
class have done poorly. Those people in the middle class most closely
associated with the capitalist class in their work have done very well.
A Legal Aid attorney is much worse off now than 30 years ago. But the
attorneys who are partners in white-shoe law firms, who are doing
business with Wall Street, are doing very well.

Q: You use the term working class; who exactly are you referring to?

A: Sixty-two percent of the labor force in the United States are
working-class people, by which I mean people who do not have much
control or authority over the pace or the content of the work and
they're not a supervisor and they're not the boss. We're talking about
white-collar workers, like bank clerks or cashiers; we're talking about
blue-collar workers and construction and manufacturing.

Q: How does income fit in?

A: If we're all in the middle class, then people think the poor will
always be with us and there is something wrong with the poor. But if you
look at the poor in any given year, it may be 12, 13 or 14 percent of
the population but over a 10-year period, 40 percent of Americans
experience poverty for at least one year.

The rich are really the top 1 percent. And they have more than half the
wealth. The change in the distribution of income is widely known. I have
some data from Business Week about the ratio of C.E.O. compensation to
worker compensation. In 1981 it was 42 to 1; last year it was over 500
to 1, and it's gone up consistently.

Q: Is there class mobility?

A: There is some, but not a great deal. The single most important
predictor of a child's class position is the occupation of the child's
parent. Not only for the working class but the middle class and the
capitalists.

Do people confuse race and class?

The principal conflation of race and class comes from the idea that
there's a broad middle class, and there's the rich and the poor. In that
conception, this middle is really what Bill Clinton talked about, people
who work hard and play by the rules. Who are these poor people? Well,
they're black.

But two-thirds of all poor people in the United States are white, and
three-quarters of all black people in the United States are not poor. We
can't talk about the African-American community as one thing because
it's divided by class.

You have people saying, "I don't want affirmative action for a black kid
if their parents are professionals and their grandparents were
professionals." White, working-class kids trying to get into college,
trying to get a job are saying: "Why am I being disadvantaged for the
child of black professionals? I want class-based affirmative action."
Well, there's something to be said for that. But if you just do it on
the economic status, you miss the continued existence of racism. It is
complicated.

Q: In your view, the increasing gap between the rich and the poor is not
just a matter of real income but reflects the reduced power of workers.

A: The reduced power is in part the decline of union strength in the
private sector and the weakness in organizational capacity of the labor
movement, which now has less than 10 percent of the private sector in
unions and about 13 percent of the total labor force, compared to the
middle 1950's, when it was a third.

Q: What is your take on this series of Wall Street scandals?

A: With the end of the cold war, the capitalist class is triumphant in
that they just go to the limit. There is no organized opposition that is
effective enough or strong enough to stop them. In the exercise of that
power, it's extremely ugly. The mentality that cheats investors also
cheats workers, like at Wal-Mart, where they don't pay workers for
working off the clock.

Q: What do you mean by organized opposition?