IRA apologises for murders

Paul Moloney pmoloney1969 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 10:47:27 MDT 2002

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Northern_Ireland/Story/0,2763,756416,00.html

Full text

IRA statement

The IRA tonight issued an unprecedented statement
apologising for the killing of all "non-combatants"
who died during 30 years
of violence.

Tuesday July 16, 2002

The statement said: "Sunday July 21 marks the 30th
anniversary of an IRA operation in Belfast in 1972
which resulted in nine people being killed and many
more injured. "While it was not our intention to
injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on
this and on a number of other occasions, that was
the consequence of our actions.

"It is, therefore, appropriate on the anniversary of
this tragic event, that we address all of the deaths
and injuries of non-combatants caused by us.

"We offer our sincere apologies and condolences to
their families. "There have been fatalities amongst
combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief
and pain of their relatives.

"The future will not be found in denying collective
failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to
the plight of those who have been hurt. That includes
all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and
non-combatants.

"It will not be achieved by creating a hierarchy of
victims in which some are deemed more or less worthy
than others.

"The process of conflict resolution requires the equal

acknowledgement of the grief and loss of others. On
this anniversary, we are endeavouring to fulfil this
responsibility to those we have hurt.

"The IRA is committed unequivocally to the search for
freedom, justice and peace in Ireland. We remain
totally committed to the peace process and to dealing
with the challenges and difficulties which this
presents. This includes the acceptance of past
mistakes and of the hurt and pain we have caused to
others."

The statement is signed "P O'Neill, Irish Republican
Publicity Bureau, Dublin."