Harvey's road to Damascus

Nigel Irritable nigel_irritable at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 19:22:43 MDT 2002

David Harvey's conversion to Marxism had an enormous
impact in his field. He was already one of the most
prominent urban geographers in the world. His "Social
Justice and the City" is a remarkable book. The first
half of it used his previous left liberal analytical
tools, stretching them to their limits. The second
half replaces them with a Marxist approach to stunning
effect. Along with Manuel Castells "The Urban
Question, which drew from a more Althusserian strain
of Marxism, it transformed a conservative discipline
in the early 1970s.

I took his course this year at the London School of
Economics. Entitled "Historical Geographical
Materialism" it primarily dealt with his present
attempts to further develop the Marxist understanding
of uneven geographical development. I will post some
thoughts on his seminars when I have a little more
time.

Is mise le meas
Brian Cahill