Forwarded from Josh Neufeld

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 24 15:36:41 MDT 2002

Dear Mr. Proyect,

I was forwarded your post and wanted to quickly respond. I'm glad to see
you sharing information about Joe Sacco's work with your peers, but a
couple of facts need clarification. "Palestine" was originally published
in periodical form (by Fantagraphics) in 1993-1995. It was only
collected this year in the form you are reading. "Safe Area Gorazde" was
published in 2000 in one fell swoop, as a true graphic novel, also by
Fantagraphics Books. This may explain why "Palestine" has not received
as much press attention as did "Safe Area Gorazde" (I remember reading
an extensive review of "SAG" in the "New York Times" Book Review),
although, obviously, the stories told in "Palestine" are just as pointed
and relevant today as when they were originally told.

To me, Sacco does not transcend the form of comics - which is capable of
telling any sort of story, just as is poetry, prose, film, dance, etc. -
but uses it in an interesting new way that shows just how limitless
comics' potential really is. But I'm a cartoonist myself, so I'm biased!

Furthermore, as a contributing artist to Harvey Pekar's comics, I can
attest that he continues to do "American Splendor" to this day, the only
difference that he no longer pays his own money to put them out, but is
assisted by Dark Horse Comics.

Well, thanks again for spreading the word of great comics like Sacco's,
and please forgive my unsolicited comments.

Best,

- josh neufeld

--
Josh Neufeld: Comix, Illos, Web Design: www.JoshNeufeld.com

Titans of Finance: www.indyworld.com/josh

175 Eastern Parkway, #5C | Brooklyn, NY 11238
ph: 718.623.9838 | fax: 781.998.8258

--

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org