Shame on A World Where Sharon is A Free Man

Marc Rodrigues cuito61 at onebox.com
Thu Jul 25 12:21:31 MDT 2002

Palestinians are beyond angry, beyond betrayed and feel that the only
method of dealing with the Israeli murderous campaign and occupation
is to strike back at the Israelis, not only soldiers, not only militant
settlers.

By Ramzy Baroud, Editor-in-Chief
http://palestinechronicle.com/article.php?story=20020724141005863

I wonder if Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has ran out of ideas
yet. Every time we assume that he has employed his last tactic possible
in his attempt to suppress the Palestinian people, the ever defiant ‘warrior’
proves us wrong. His latest wild chase after Palestinian activists cost
Palestinians 15 more lives and 148 wounded, adding to the Palestinian
calendar yet another tragedy to commemorate.

Those who dare to see the complete picture, without distortion and dishonesty
know as a fact that Sharon is a madman, a fanatical fascist who have
developed a unique style of racism, so unique to Zionism, so unique to
him.

But of course, only those of the “alternative media”, or “former” officials
and statesman are willing to state so, for no fancy jobs are at stake
here, and the political cost in the case of former politicians is minimal.

However, until the world gathers its courage to tell Sharon: “enough
is enough,” and “you have no business occupying, assassinating and starving
Palestinians,” until that happens, Palestinians are destined to collect
and bury their dead, alone with desperate chants for revenge and others
for freedom.

Today, as I gazed at the flow of photos and TV images of Palestinian
civilians, or what has remained of them killed in the Israeli raid on
Gaza, an angry question daunting me: Why does Sharon, a healthy man with
a million-dollar farming industry keep chasing behind an oppressed population,
living in cage-like towns and villages, desperately poor, while all they
seek is freedom.

Hasn’t Sharon killed enough? Will his endless list of Palestinians to
kill and places to bomb ever run out? Isn’t a 52-year-long career in
murder plenty to satisfy the man’s thirst for Palestinian blood? How
many more massacres would Sharon need to check out from his list before
he dies, or quits politics for good?

I am more concerned by the idea that Sharon is reaching an age, where
his obsession with the “security of Israel” would lead him to carry out
more wide scale, Sabra and Shatilla like massacres of Palestinians. Sharon
is a firm believer in the “good Arab is a dead Arab” theory championed
by many Zionists throughout the years. While for a fanatic Jewish settler
to believe in such a saying is costly enough, for a Prime Minister endeared
by a cheering Israeli public to carry out the statement as a policy,
is horrifying.

But haven’t the Israelis tried everything yet? They massacred, bombarded,
besieged, imprisoned Palestinians for over five decades, and cultivated
nothing but more hatred and resistance. Why are they then dragging such
a bad and failing policy forever? Is it just killing for the sake of
killing?

What have those innocent children, women and men of Gaza, so frail and
precious committed to wake up from a sweet sleep to find themselves in
a bloodbath and their loved ones blown to pieces, scattered under the
heavy concrete?

We all know by now that the fear of suicide bombing pretext is no longer
tolerated, for many reasons. For one, the Israeli occupation began decades
ago, and the suicide bombing developed as a desperate response to the
cruel and incomprehensive Israeli practices in the 1990s. So there is
no chicken and egg here to get us tangled up.

But moreover, the Israeli attack on Gaza came only one day after Hamas
announced its willingness to halt its attacks on Israel if the latter
evacuate from recently occupied West Bank towns and release Palestinian
political prisoners.

The Hamas offer was made by the spiritual leader of the movement in an
interview with Al-Jazeera.

If Sharon really cared about the well-being of his people, he would have
refrained from attacking one of the movement’s top leaders in Gaza. The
attack on Gaza was partly a response to the Hamas offer. Now, only naives
would fail to see what would happen in coming weeks. Palestinians are
beyond angry, beyond betrayed and feel that the only method of dealing
with the Israeli murderous campaign and occupation is to strike back
at the Israelis, not only soldiers, not only militant settlers.

While its easy for some of us to tilt back in our comfortable chairs
and dictate to the Palestinians what is acceptable and what is not in
terms of methods of resistance, the Palestinian people in the West Bank
and Gaza are not governed by our cozy and convenient dictations.

They are only humans, with a limited, although exceptional, capacity
of endurance. We all have failed them: we failed to protect them; we
failed to side with them; we failed to stop their Israeli murderers,
and scolded them for making comparisons between Israelis and Nazis; we
watched them beg for mercy in Jenin and never moved to prevent their
killing; we heard their cry for water in Nablus and offered them nothing;
we almost smelled the decomposed bodies of their sons scattered in the
streets and we complained that Palestinians are misusing the world “massacre.”

We have failed them, and we have lost our right to criticize them.

Palestinians are left on their own, fending for their refugee camps against
invading tanks and F16s.

Shame on a world in which Sharon is a free man. Shame on a world that
tolerates such cruelty against a tormented nation. Shame on every one
of us who knew the truth and said nothing.

---
Marc Rodrigues
Voicemail/Fax: 866.206.9067 x4217
SFS: http://qcsfs.tripod.com

"Settle your quarrels, come together, understand the reality of our situation,
understand that fascism is already here, that people are already dying
who could be saved, that generations more will live poor butchered half-lives
if you fail to act." -George Jackson