When Bush Comes to Shove

Marc Rodrigues cuito61 at onebox.com
Tue Jul 30 12:21:37 MDT 2002

By Baha Abushaqra for Palestine Chronicle

http://palestinechronicle.com/article.php?story=20020730011624639

I. US President George W. Bush on the assassination of Israeli Minister
Rehavam
Ze’evi (considered a 'hard-liner' by his own people), back in October
2001, by
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (which was in retaliation
for the
assassination of its leader Abu-Ali Mustapha) (through White House spokesman
Ari
Fleischer):

“The President condemns in the strongest terms the assassination of Israeli
Tourism
Minister Rehavam Ze’evi today… He offers his condolences and those of
the United
States to Prime Minister Sharon, the Israeli government and people, and
the family
of Minister Ze’evi… This despicable act is further evidence of the need
to fight
terrorism.”

Weapon used: gun

'Collateral damage:' zero

Official Palestinian reaction: the Palestinian National Authority strongly
condemned
the attack

Official Israeli reaction: the Israeli government strongly condemned
the attack

II. Mr. Bush on the assassination of Palestinian activist/Hamas military
wing-leader
Salah Shehada on 22 July 2002 (through White House spokesman Ari Fleischer):

"President George Bush saw the attack as a heavy-handed action that is
not
consistent with dedication to peace"

Weapon used: one-ton missile fired from an Israeli F-16 warplane

'Collateral damage:' leveling of Mr. Shehadeh's house and three others
nearby
(leaving a huge pile of smoking rubble in a poverty-stricken, crowded
Palestinian
neighbourhood) killing Salah Shehada and 15 other civilians nine of them
children.
At least 145 Palestinians were hurt

Official Palestinian reaction: the Palestinian National Authority strongly
condemned
the attack

Official Israeli reaction: shortly after the strike, Mr. Sharon called
the killing
of Mr. Shehadeh [i.e. the air raid] "one of our biggest successes."

---
Marc Rodrigues
Voicemail/Fax: 866.206.9067 x4217
SFS: http://qcsfs.tripod.com

"Settle your quarrels, come together, understand the reality of our situation,
understand that fascism is already here, that people are already dying
who could be saved, that generations more will live poor butchered half-lives
if you fail to act." -George Jackson