Alex Cockburn on the state of the left

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Nov 3 10:42:56 MST 2002

As usual, Cockburn's remarks are on target, except for this last piece.
Common cause with the populist right? Unless he means in a limited,
tangential and tactical sense, I beg to differ. IMHO, there's a difference
between "our" Bill of Rights and "their" Bill of Rights. Unless I'm
misinterpreting what Cockburn means by the populist right, there is a
difference between a BoR at the service of a working class project and a
petit bourgeois project (and isn't that the class content of populism?).
There's a gap between a BoR that aids our class in seizing hegemony and one
at the service of white supremacy, misogyny, etc. Formally, we might seek
the same thing, and so there's room for a joint demonstration against the
Patriot Act, say, but then a parting of the ways on immigrant rights.

Mike