LAIR OF HUNTERBEAR

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 7 09:39:35 MST 2002

Our very large website -- LAIR OF HUNTERBEAR -- continues to  grow steadily
and draw visitors.  At this point, as we near the third year of operation,
we're getting around 250 hits a day  --  and sometimes 300 or more. From
what we can determine, it's visited frequently by activists, academics, and
students.

A few of many highlights and there's much more --  e.g., Native Americans,
organizing approaches, Southern civil rights movement, radicalism, Left
unionism, the West, Idaho challenges.

A]  GRAY LANDS AND GRAY GHOSTS:  WHERE THE COYOTES HOWL AND  LIONS AND
      BOBCATS PROWL  -- This is a  just done and very substantial essay
centering on the life
      and times of John Gray, the fiery Mohawk leader of the Iroquois fur
hunters
      in the Far West in the earlier part of the 19th century -- with
dimensions on
      special geographical settings then and now and some contemporary
autobiographical stuff.
      Moves back and forth between historical and contemporary challenges.
John
      Gray and his band carried out what was probably the first labor strike
in the
      Intermountain West -- against the Hudson's Bay Company in 1825.  The
      ramifications were very broadly positive over the entire wide region.
      http://www.hunterbear.org/GRAY%20LANDS%20AND%20GRAY%20GHOSTS.htm

B]  COMING OF AGE INTO THE RED: A WESTERN NATIVE'S MEMOIR

http://www.hunterbear.org/coming%20of%20age%20[western%20memoir.%20htm.htm

C]  WHEN THE RED LEAVES FALL [NATIVES IN THE RADICAL CULTURE OF SEATTLE]
      http://www.hunterbear.org/WHEN%20THE%20RED%20LEAVES%20FALL.htm

D]  PERSONAL BACKGROUND NARRATIVE IS CONTINUALLY UPDATED
      http://www.hunterbear.org/narrative.htm

E]  NATIVE AMERICAN COMMISSION PAGES   There are four of these, covering a
wide
      variety of material, and they start at
      http://www.hunterbear.org/native_american_commission_page.htm   We're
      developing the new Pocatello Anti-Racism Committee and Page Four has a
bit
      on that

http://www.hunterbear.org/NATIVE%20AMERICAN%20COMMISSION%20PAGE%204.htm

F]  THE SHORT STORY ["THE DESTROYERS"]  BY JOHN R. SALTER, JR. [HUNTER GRAY]
MY
     AWARD WINNING STORY -- RACE HATE AND A FOREST FIRE -- PUBLISHED IN THE
     LEFT  LITERARY  MAGAZINE, MAINSTREAM, IN MAY 1960 AND SINCE WIDELY
     REPRINTED.  FIRST TIME IT'S BEEN ON THE NET:
     http://www.hunterbear.org/the%20short%20story.htm

G]  THIS SOMEWHAT OLDER PIECE CONTINUES TO BE HEAVILY VISITED:  MEDGAR W.
EVERS:
      REFLECTION AND APPRECIATION http://www.hunterbear.org/medgar_w.htm

H]  AND OUR DIRECTORY/INDEX IS ALWAYS VERY CURRENT -- WITH THE NEW PIECES
LISTED
      UP AT THE TOP: http://www.hunterbear.org/directory.htm

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]  Micmac / St Francis Abenaki / St Regis Mohawk
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'