A question for M. Junaid Alam

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Nov 10 01:11:56 MST 2002

I disagree with M. Junaid
Alam that the top ranks of the U.S. government are riddled with "Zionists
and Likudniks", which would mean that they put the interests of the Israeli
state, the Israeli bourgeoisie, the settlements, etc., FIRST,  and the
interests of U.S. imperialism SECOND.  I don't believe this is true of
Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz,  -- not to mention Bush -- or any of the other
top government warhawks..

They back Israel as a key fortress and weapon against liberation struggles
in the Arab countries.
They act from the standpoint of the U.S. empire, and support Israeli
expansionism as a defense of that empire.

There probably are, of course, Israeli agents like Jonathan Pollard in the
U.S. government,  but it is notable that the Bush administration is keeping
Pollard in jail, to the irritation of many pro-Zionists in the U.S. and
Israel --  a warning  to the Israeli government and to Zionists and
Likudniks in the U.S. about whose interests are supposed to come first.

The reason why the impending U.S. invasion of Iraq took priority on October
26 while the Israeli attacks on the Palestinian people took priority April
20  while the impending invasion of Iraq is being put in the first place
now, in my opinion, is that on April 20 support to the intensified Israeli
occupation of Palestinian populated areas of Palestine was the most
aggressive expression of the U.S. imperialist war drive.

Today, U.S. imperialism itself is preparing to wage war against and occupy
Iraq, with the strong, including possibly direct military support of the
Israeli state.

The statement that solidarity with Palestine in the United States is about
50 years behind where "it should be" is an unchallengeable sentiment.  But I
don't think that AN
SWER's strong support for the Palestinians is subject to challenge.

And when Alam says that "we"  call for  a Palestinian state in only
one-fifth of Palestine, I wonder who he means by "we."  That doesn't
describe ANSWER's position (to my knowledge), mine, or that of  a slowly
growing number of others.

My impression of the Newman article was the same as Lou Paulsen's.  I
thought it was very strange.

But my eye was caught by Alam's statement that he is going to be
representing his university group at a "national student antiwar
conference."  Who is sponsoring this conference and when and where will it
be held?