Jurriaan on Popper

Sabri Oncu soncu at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 11 17:50:12 MST 2002

Mike Friedman wrote:

> Actually, science is about falsifying null hypotheses,
> while supporting your alternative hypothsis. You can't
> logically (or statistically) "prove" a hypothesis true,
> but you can easily falsify it, prove it false.

Here is one objection and it is to the word "easily". Even when a
hypothesis is false, we might not be able to falsify it. To put
it differently, that none of us is able to falsify a hypothesis
doesn't mean that it is true. They call it Type II error, if I
remember correctly. It is also possible to falsify a true
hypothesis, which is what they call Type I error, as far as I
recall.

Just a minor point,

Sabri