And then my heart... was Re: James Daly

Gary Maclennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Mon Nov 11 19:12:56 MST 2002

I actually had the pleasure of talking to James about the Irish situation a
few years ago. And when he was not performing an outrageous put down
reading of one of my favorite Wordsworth poems - The Daffodils - I found
what he had to say very engaging.

The problem I suppose is that I write from Australian and even though I
visit Ireland every year, one misses the on the ground flavour of what is
likely to happen.

I tend to agree with Phil on this one.  I think, to use Bloch's phrase, the
Unionist camp is the 'non-synchronous'. But that is not to say that at
certain conjunctures they could not obtain efficacy or purchase.

Are we not dealing with competing tendencies here and trying to predict
which will be manifested?  The Unionists represent the past and that always
has a real appeal to British Imperialists.  But Europe is uniting -
politically and economically and what role do the Unionists have in this
scenario?  - very little I would say.

In the mean time Unionism is going through the most terrible crisis.  When
one has a leader a tattooed inarticulate murderous drug pushing thug like
Mad Dog Adair, then one knows that this is not a hegemonic formation.  The
Unionists are simply unable to lead Ulster.  That has been IMHO the great
achievement of the Irish Liberation struggle.

So I am inclined to agree with Phil, that the dialectics of modernity in
Ireland will create a United Ireland - but it will be of course a betrayal
of the delirium of the brave.

Regards

Gary

BTW James Do you know the lines from Oscar Wilde's first Trial, when Carson
reads something Oscar wrote & asks him 'Do you call that art Mr Wilde"'

And Oscar replies

'Not as you read it, Mr. Carson,.  You read it very badly.'?

Ditto for that final couplet of the Daffodils.  Some day I will read it for
you!