Iraq Pledge of Resistance National Days of Action (10 Dec 02 / 15-20 Jan 03)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 12 21:05:27 MST 2002

Iraq Pledge of Resistance Call for Nationally Coordinated Days of Action

International Human Rights Day, December 10
MLK Days, January 15 - 20, 2003

The Iraq Pledge of Resistance, a campaign of nationally coordinated
nonviolent civil disobedience to oppose war in Iraq (sponsor groups
listed below), is calling for national days of action on
International Human Rights Day, Tuesday, December 10, and on MLK
Days, January 15 - 20, 2003.

Freedom from war is among the most fundamental of human rights, so
International Human Rights Day is a natural choice to step up our
campaign of nonviolent resistance against war on Iraq.  It also
provides an excellent opportunity to focus on the deepest meaning of
the holiday season, the quest for peace.

If your nonviolent civil disobedience action is not yet ready, we
nonetheless urge all Pledge groups to hold a public Pledge event on
this date.  A public signing of the Pledge, with appropriate
speakers, is an excellent way to promote and build the Pledge in your
area short of the civil disobedience itself.  We want to be able to
communicate the scope of this nonviolent resistance to the national
media, and to escalate our mobilization as we look toward the coming
year.

One additional "hook" to hold an event on this date is that the Nobel
Peace Prize is awarded on International Human Rights Day.  Former
President Jimmy Carter will be awarded the prize on December 10, and
it is widely understood that his award is at least partly a rebuke to
the warmongering attitude of the Bush Administration, which Carter
himself has criticized.

All Pledge groups should then be ready to execute their plans for
nonviolent civil disobedience sometime during Martin Luther King days
in January, from his actual birthday on Wednesday, January 15 through
the national holiday of Monday, January 20.  It is possible if not
likely that the Bush Administration will be on the verge of war by
January, so it is critical that everyone be prepared to carry out
their planned actions by this time.  Remember, the call for
nationwide CD will be activated if the wider war against Iraq does
begin, and should it happen before MLK days, this activation will
supercede the called dates (i.e. - if Bush attacks on December 28,
our network will respond to that attack.)

Groups to organize the Iraq Pledge of Resistance are needed!  While
the Iraq Pledge of Resistance is currently being organized in 26
cities and 17 states ( as well as in England and Scotland), we
currently have over 5000 individuals who have volunteered for
nonviolent CD, and they come from all 50 states and most major
metropolitan areas.

If your organization or coalition is interested in organizing the
Pledge in your area, please send that information to National Pledge
Coordinator Gordon Clark at <pledgecoordinator at starpower.net>.  (You
will also find a sign-up form at our website, www.peacepledge.org, or
you can call the Pledge at 301-589-2355.)  Pledge groups will need to
assign a contact person to be in touch with the coordinator, along
with email/phone number to serve as contact points for interested
persons in the area.  Your organization will then be sent all names
from the national website (or signed Pledge forms) who reside in your
area, and it will be your responsibility to contact them, as well as
to provide appropriate nonviolence training and legal briefing for
those wishing to risk arrest.  (We can help you locate resources for
these, as necessary.)   We hope, of course, that all Pledge groups
will agree to take actions on the dates of national calls, but local
groups maintain their autonomy of decision-making at all times.  The
only requirement to be an organizing group for the Pledge is
acceptance of and adherence to the nonviolence guidelines that are on
the Pledge form (and attached below).

The following list is of cities/states where we do have groups
organizing the Iraq Pledge of Resistance.  If you are from any other
state or major city in the country and would like to organize
nonviolent civil disobedience as part of the Pledge, please let us
know!  Current Pledge organizations are in California (Los Angeles,
Sacramento, San Francisco), Florida (Tallahassee), Illinois
(Chicago), Kansas (Kansas City and Wichita), Maryland (Baltimore),
Massachusetts (Western Mass), Michigan (Detroit, Holland and Traverse
City), Missouri (St. Louis), New Hampshire, New York (Albany,
Binghamton, Buffalo, New York City and Rochester), North Carolina,
Ohio (Athens County), Oregon, Pennsylvania (Erie, Philadelphia and
Pittsburgh), Texas (Austin and Houston), Vermont, Washington
(Bellingham and Seattle) and Washington DC.

Nonviolence Guidelines for the Iraq Pledge of Resistance

* Our attitude will be one of openness and respect toward all we
encounter in our actions.
* We will use no violence, verbal or physical, toward any person.
* We will not destroy or damage any property.
* We will carry no weapons.
* We will not bring any drugs or alcohol, other than for medicinal purposes.
* We will not run or resist arrest; we will remain accountable for
our actions as a means of furthering our witness to the injustice of
this war.

Sponsoring Organizations: (list in formation) American Friends
Service Committee, Education for Peace in Iraq Center, Fellowship of
Reconciliation, Global Exchange, Interfaith Network of Concern for
the People in Iraq, Lutheran Peace Fellowship, National Network to
End the War Against Iraq, Not In Our Name, Pax Christi USA, Peace
Action, Resource Center for Nonviolence, Veterans for Peace, Voices
in the Wilderness, War Resisters League and Women's International
League for Peace and Freedom.
--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: