Solidarity -- and a couple of other thoughts

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 13 23:23:05 MST 2002

--- Adam Levenstein <cleon42 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Why try to re-invent the wheel.  The I.W.W.
> exists.
> >
> >             http://www.iww.org
> >
> > We need to organize classwide and grassroots
> > democratic to knock the hell out of the
> wages-system.
>
> Yeah, the SP exists, too, but it's hardly the same
> organization it was
> when Debs was around. Same goes for the IWW--these
> days it's mainly an
> anarchist activist forum, not much of a "union."
> (Though it does manage
> to organize the occasional shop here and there.)

Self-identification as an anarchist is neither a
requirement nor a block to organizing in the I.W.W.

We do require that workers wishing to become Wobblies
are in basic agreement with the Preamble to our
Constitiution:
The working class and the employing class have nothing
in common. There can be no peace so long as hunger and
want are found among millions of the working people
and the few, who make up the employing class, have all
the good things of life.

Between these two classes a struggle must go on until
the workers of the world organize as a class, take
possession of the means of production, abolish the
wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth.

We find that the centering of the management of
industries into fewer and fewer hands makes the trade
unions unable to cope with the ever growing power of
the employing class. The trade unions foster a state
of affairs which allows one set of workers to be
pitted against another set of workers in the same
industry, thereby helping defeat one another in wage
wars. Moreover, the trade unions aid the employing
class to mislead the workers into the belief that the
working class have interests in common with their
employers.

These conditions can be changed and the interest of
the working class upheld only by an organization
formed in such a way that all its members in any one
industry, or in all industries if necessary, cease
work whenever a strike or lockout is on in any
department thereof, thus making an injury to one an
injury to all.

Instead of the conservative motto, "A fair day's wage
for a fair day's work," we must inscribe on our banner
the revolutionary watchword, "Abolition of the wage
system."

It is the historic mission of the working class to do
away with capitalism. The army of production must be
organized, not only for everyday struggle with
capitalists, but also to carry on production when
capitalism shall have been overthrown. By organizing
industrially we are forming the structure of the new
society within the shell of the old.

But then, we've been doing that since we began in
1905, right through the period of our largest numbers
until today.  The point is that workers will always
have differing political viewpoints.  That shouldn't
stop them from organizing as a class to win the daily
battle, while setting their sights on the prized goal
of taking, holding, and operating the means of
production for themselves.

Wobbly greetings,

Mike B)

=====
"Man first begins to philosophize when the necessitites of life are supplied."  Aristotle

"determinatio est negatio"  Spinoza

"There are no ordinary cats."  Colette

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal