The crisis of traditional Toryism

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 15 19:05:23 MST 2002

--- Jurriaan Bendien <J.Bendien at wolmail.nl> wrote:
> Toryism might make a comeback if the Left has
> nothing to say about problems
> of immorality, lawlessness, crime and deception, in
> other words if the Left
> has no moral alternatives that work. We would not be
> wise if we
> underestimate the potential for social
> disintegration created by the
> workings of capitalism in our own time.

The decadence of capitalism is rooted in the
maturation of the commodity.  As it is necessaary for
the commodity to become cheaper over time, so is it
necessary for everything and every relation it touches
to become cheapened.  The reactionary solution is to
this breakdown of quality in life is to attempt to
force history backwards.  Using the State and various
ideological pulpits, they rage against immorality and
the freedom of the human being, attempting to beat,
browbeat then stuff the spirit of liberation from the
fetters of the rule of Capital and cheapness back into
a past which never existed, but which provide our
rulers with more certain and controllable "moral"
boxes.

The left needs to expose this process, the process of
the commodification of human relations.  The left
needs to tie commodification directly to the rule of
Capital.  Revolutionaries need to celebrate greater
freedom and democracy and with it a better, richer
life, a life which is now being held back, dammed up,
so to speak, behind the fetishized wall of the "free
market".  When that movement begins, the bourgeoisie's
immorality, lawlessness, crime and deception will
begin to wither away.

Mike B)

=====
"Man first begins to philosophize when the necessitites of life are supplied."  Aristotle

"determinatio est negatio"  Spinoza

"There are no ordinary cats."  Colette

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal