Solidarity -- and a couple of other thoughts

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sat Nov 16 23:55:53 MST 2002

Hmmm... What we have in common. Do you mean that the only thing workers
have in common is exploitation, i.e. what we used to call the economic
base? This sounds a little like business unionism to me. Most business
unionists that have represented me have argued that the union's role is
just to defend the workers' rights on the job -- except during election
time, when they support democrats. I remember when I was in the SWP, we
used to counterpose "social unionism" to this, i.e., that for unions to
begin to move forward as independent organizations of class unity  -- even
on the job -- they would have to champion the demands and needs of the most
oppressed sectors. As a teacher, I was also favorably impressed by the
Rethinking Schools people, with their concept of "social justice teacher
unionism," which promoted teacher unions as leaders, champions and unifiers
of the education community around broader issues of social justice.
I  would argue that we do indeed have a common interest in opposing
imperialist war, racism, sexism and homophobia, and unions -- whether the
UAW or the IWW ignore these needs and interests at their own peril -- the
peril being reduction to bastions of white, male privilege and
reinforcement of the bureaucrats who benefit from it. The IWW, which claims
to represent the "interests of the whole working class," has far less
justification for the omissions indicated by Jose. It's not enough that
"Wobs" do these things. These things ARE at the "roots of the tree."

Mike