Pinto Democrats

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 18 07:10:06 MST 2002

      Note by Hunterbear:

      This will come as a surprise only to those "yellow dog" Democrats --
whether they actually recognize themselves as that -- who still think the
Democratic Party is the "practical" and "realistic" approach.  Anyway, this
sounds like most Demo leaders have sounded since I was in high school.  In
the Southwest, we call them Pintos -- Democrats with big Republican spots.
And now those Repub spots are truly  becoming their primary, dominant color.

      Pelosi Vows to Back Bush if War Comes with Iraq
      Sun November 17, 2002 11:13 AM ET

      By Joanne Kenen
      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - New House of Representatives Democratic leader
Nancy Pelosi, a liberal who has been at odds with President Bush on Iraq,
pledged on Sunday to support him if the United States goes to war in Iraq.

      "Yes, I would support the president," the California Democrat
responded on NBC's "Meet the Press" program when asked if she would back
Bush even if he opted for military action without U.N. support.

      Pelosi, who voted against the congressional resolution authorizing
force in Iraq, stressed that she still believed a diplomatic approach was
preferable to a military one, and if military action does become necessary,
she thinks a multilateral response is preferable to a unilateral one.

      But if U.S. soldiers are put in harm's way, "I certainly will support
the action of the president," said Pelosi, who was elected this week to
succeed Dick Gephardt of Missouri as the leader of the minority Democrats in
the House. She is the first woman to head either party in Congress.

      "I hope that it does not come to that," said Pelosi, who is the top
Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. She said she is very concerned
that Iraq could use chemical or biological weapons on U.S. troops.

      "I don't trust Saddam Hussein for one second. Let's be very clear,
this is a person who does very evil things and he is a menace," she said.
"But nonetheless we want to make sure that we can resolve this and show our
greatness by resolving it diplomatically, rather than just showing our power
by going in militarily."

      She also declined to join in with Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle's
comments last week questioning whether Washington has really made progress
in the war on terror.

      "What is enough? Enough is a guarantee that it won't happen again,"
she said, adding that "The war on terror is about more than Osama bin
Laden."

      Questioned several times about her liberalism, Pelosi stressed that
she saw her role as unifying her party and developing consensus, not
necessarily imposing her own views.

      "The role of the leader is to build consensus in the party," she said.
For instance, she personally opposes making Bush's tax cuts permanent, she
said, but she will seek consensus among Democrats and evaluate economic
proposals in terms of their fairness and whether they can create jobs and
grow the economy.

      Pelosi succeeds Gephardt, who is stepping down from the leadership
after Democrats unexpectedly lost seats in the Nov. 5 elections.

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'