Gays and the Cuban Revolution

Martin Spellman mspellman at cix.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 12:33:34 MST 2002

	I recall when I first went to the Soviet Union in the early seventies it
was quite common for men friends to hold hands in the street. They were not
gay (most of them anyway) -- it was just something friends did. It was
certainly not officially frowned upon -- in fact I recall militia men doing
it. We found this strange, coming from neurotic, alienated England, but were
told this was the Russian custom. Later as tourism increased and homophobic
ridicule from Western tourists with it, I understand this 'custom' died out.

Gandhi was once asked what he thought of Western civilisation. He replied
"It would be a good idea."

Martin Spellman