Fw: [CubaNews] Venezuela's National Guard battles attack on government

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 19 19:34:24 MST 2002

Here is a good description of the Venezuelan National Guard, which
apparently came into conflict with rightist demonstrators when they
attempted to forcibly block roads.

So they are different from the Venezuelan army, which has not attacked the
popular masses since the coup, when sizable sections backed Chavez as the
legitimate president.  National Guard units participated in two recent
Caracas attacks on pro-Chavez demonstrators.
But both are different from the police, which have been used by reactionary
officials in various parts of the country to attack supporters of the
government, peasants attempting to carry out the land reform  law, and
others.