Gays and Cuba

Philip Ferguson plf13 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Nov 19 22:55:53 MST 2002

> from "Homosexuality in Cuba: revolution within the revolution"
>
> By Jo Ellis, greenleft.news, 4 July 1999:
>
> In 1986, the Cuban government went through a rectification process (dubbed
> "a return to Che") in which it assessed the impact of the social and
> economic model of the Soviet Union in Cuba. The Cuban leadership made a
> conscious effort to combat and turn away from what they saw as mistakes the
> Soviet Union had committed in stifling democracy.
>
> Since 1986, the Cuban state has consciously tried to counter homophobia. Ian
> Lumsden, in his book Machos, maricones and gays, says there is "little
> evidence to support the contention that the persecution of homosexuals
> remains a matter of state policy".
>
> In 1993, a sex education workshop was held in Cuba on homosexuality. Cuban
> physician Celestino Alverez explained that all laws regarding homosexuality
> had been repealed and that homophobia was a question of "prejudice, not
> persecution".

Which backs up my point about oppression.  Yep, individual gays are
still subject to a degree of prejudice among the population, and there
is quite possibly some way to go in the attitudes of the Cuban
leadership, but they are not *oppressed as a section of society*.  As
you would expect, Cuban gays have made much more rapid advances than
gays in *any comparable capitalist society* (ie the rest of Latin
America and the Caribbean) and probably than in most imperialist
democracies.  Moreover, that process has been, to no insignificant
extent, *led* by the leadership of the country, unlike anywhere else in
the world.

Philip Ferguson