Alan Wald is cool. So is Israel.

forsher at excite.com forsher at excite.com
Thu Nov 21 08:48:18 MST 2002

Not me. I would never badger Alan Wald; the titles of his books are way too interesting. What did he talk about?

Because of anti-Semitism, for instance, targetting people simply because they are "Brooklyn-born Jews," I think Jews need their own army; but since 1948, we have that.

Joseph Telushkin makes a good point. In July 1946, the Poles in a place called Kielce rioted against their Jewish neighbors, Holocaust survivors, killing some dozens of people. No one did anything. Thity years later, when a plane full of Jewish travelers was seized by terrorists and diverted to Uganda, the Israel Defense Force was able to intervene and save all but one of the Jewish hostages. That's the difference Israel makes in the world.

From: Louis Proyect [mailto: lnp3 at panix.com]

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com