History and revolution

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Nov 21 18:03:02 MST 2002

Some weeks ago, the Argentinean (and Peronist) writer Rodolfo Walsh
was mentioned on this list. While reading some of his work again, I
stumbled on what follows. First in Spanish, translation follows.

And I also guess that this is one of the most important -though
seldom mentioned- features to be taken into account by any
explanation of the pervasive hatred of imperialists against Peronism
(particularly combative Peronism after 1955): its endless struggle to
keep history alive is one of the most striking peculiarities of the
Argentinean national movement. It is not at all unconnected from the
experience of the immigrants, who during the late 50s and early 60s
discovered -like Walsh- that Argentineans have been robbed of our own
history by the oligarchic establishment. Many peoples have suffered
same fate, but not all of them have been so keenly conscious of it as
Argentineans (not because we are better than anyone, simply because
the colonization of the Argentinean mind ran deeper and was more
successful than in many other places, save for Uruguay).

Thus, I guess that the few words that follow will be useful to many:

"Nuestras clases dominantes han procurado siempre  que los
trabajadores no tengan historia, no tengan doctrina, no tengan héroes
y mártires. Cada lucha debe empezar de nuevo, separada de las luchas
anteriores: la experiencia colectiva se pierde, las lecciones se
olvidan. La historia parece así como propiedad privada cuyos dueños
son los dueños de todas las otras cosas."

"Our ruling classes have always tried to deprive workers of history,
doctrine, heroes and martyrs. Each struggle must begin anew,
separated from the previous struggles: collective experience is lost,
lessons are forgotten. History thus appears as a private property,
the owners of which are the owners of everything else".

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

"Aquel que no está orgulloso de su origen no valdrá nunca
nada porque empieza por depreciarse a sí mismo".
Pedro Albizu Campos, compatriota puertorriqueño de todos
los latinoamericanos.