Animal Farm parodied; Orwell estate is not amused

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 26 14:30:02 MST 2002

--- Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
In chapter
> one, you will
> discover that farm life under human (ie., bourgeois)
> rule is rather
> benign based on paragraph 3 in chapter one:

My reading:

At one end of the big city, in an apartment complex,
Marx
wasalready ensconced behind the podium , under a
light which hung from the ceiling. He was 60 years old
and had lately grown rather stout, but he was still a
handsome man, with a wise and benevolent appearance in
spite of the fact that his beard had never been
cut in a barber shop. Before long the other proles
began to arrive and make themselves comfortable after
their different fashions. First came the three office
workers, Blue, Jessie,  and Pincher, and then factory
workers , who settled down in the wooden chairs
immediately in front of the platform. Some women
workers sat themselves down on the window-sills, some
taxi drivers came in to sit behind the factory
workers, then some soup kitchen volunteers and farmers
mixed in the remaining seating behind the pigs talking
shop."

> So who would want to bust up this peaceable kingdom?
> Nobody else but the
> white boar Major, who delivers a rabble-rousing
> "commie" speech filled
> with one wrong note after another, including this
> howler:
>
> "I have little more to say. I merely repeat,
> remember always your duty
> of enmity towards Man [Capital] and its lackies. The
capitalists are our class enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs (Solidarity amongst
proletarians)
> wings, is a friend. And
> remember also that in fighting against Man [Capital]
we must
> not come to resemble
> him [the old ruling class]
after you've conquered power for yourselves.  Do not
adopt
> the ways of your former rulers.

No animal [proletarian]
> must ever live in a

[pent]-
house, or sleep in a bed, or
> wear clothes, or drink
> alcohol, or smoke tobacco, or touch money, or engage
> in trade. [in other words, workers should not
reproduce the capitalist system]
> habits of Man are evil. And, above all, no animal
> must ever tyrannise
> over his own kind. Weak or strong, clever or simple,
> we are all
> brothers. No animal must ever kill any other animal.
> All animals are equal."

=====
"Man first begins to philosophize when the necessitites of life are supplied."  Aristotle

"determinatio est negatio"  Spinoza

"There are no ordinary cats."  Colette

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal