Delta (Nigeria) women vs ChevronTexaco

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Wed Nov 27 07:26:14 MST 2002

>From the Nigerian daily Vanguard:

Delta women ready for fresh war against ChevronTexaco

Wednesday, November 27, 2002

FIVE months after the women of Ugborodo, Nigeria, captured the world's
attention with an 11 -day protest against oil giant, ChevronTexaco, they are
angry again, this time over what they say are the firm's broken promises.
ChevronTexaco ended July's peaceful occupation of their massive Escravos Oil
Terminal, Delta State with promises of investment for the local area. Now
the press have gone and, local people say, so has any sign of investment in
the Ugborodo fishing community, a collection of Itsekiri-speaking villages.

"You can see that our community is gradually going into extinction," says
72-year-old Jahaetan Omadeli, one of the women whose July protest shut down
the production and export of 180,000 barrels of crude per day. "Our land is
being eaten up by erosion and oil pollution. And Chevron is not doing
anything to arrest the drift," she said, warning that battle lines were once
more being drawn up against the US-based oil giant.

Full:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/cover/f427112002.html