"Anti-Americanism" here and in Britain

David Welch welch at cwcom.net
Wed Nov 27 15:51:08 MST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:20:33PM -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:
> loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:
> >
> >Wait a minute, Louis, I can see he might have a point -from a British
> >perspective-.  I can see where if someone spoke at an antiwar
> >demonstration and ONLY condemned Bush, and never mentioned Blair, a
> >British communist would criticize this as inadequate.

The dominant pattern is not to ignore the Prime Minister but to chide
him for supporting the US _against_ the 'national interest' and for not
asserting an independent role for British imperialism. This trend is even
more pronounced on continental Europe where even the highest echelons of the
ruling classes rail against American 'arrogance' and unilaterialism. Of
course European imperialism is as keen on aggression against the imperialized
world as the US but as the 'lesser partner' it also wants to bind its rival
in a system of treaties and mutual obligations - the better to constrain
America's military and economic advantage.

> Go check out their website at: http://www.stopwar.org.uk/. All antiwar
> organizers, especially you folks, could learn something about how to put
> together a representative speakers list. These are excerpts from
> speeches given at the big London rally they organized. If you can find a
> shred of support for Blair, I'll eat Ramsey Clark's underwear.

To be sure all of the speakers criticised the government but on the basis
that I described above: Britain wasn't "a force for peace in the world",
Tony Blair doesn't "represent the interests of the British people", he is
just a "lapdog of the Americans", etc. That anti-Americanism isn't a
substitute for anti-imperialism was most clear by looking the alternatives
proposed - speakers were variously for pinpoint strikes to kill President
Saddam, UN intervention, weapon inspections or for action against Israel.