More gems from Churchill

Michael Keaney michael.keaney at mbs.fi
Thu Nov 28 01:55:57 MST 2002

The Churchill you didn't know

Thousands voted him the greatest Briton - but did they know about his views
on Gandhi, gassing and Jews...

Thursday November 28, 2002
The Guardian

I will not pretend that, if I had to choose between communism and nazism, I
would choose communism.
Speaking in the House of Commons, autumn 1937

I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in
favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilised tribes.
Writing as president of the Air Council, 1919

It is alarming and nauseating to see Mr Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple
lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding
half naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still
organising and conducting a campaign of civil disobedience, to parlay on
equal terms with the representative of the Emperor-King.
Commenting on Gandhi's meeting with the Viceroy of India, 1931

(India is) a godless land of snobs and bores.
In a letter to his mother, 1896

I do not admit... that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of
America, or the black people of Australia... by the fact that a stronger
race, a higher grade race... has come in and taken its place.
Churchill to Palestine Royal Commission, 1937

(We must rally against) a poisoned Russia, an infected Russia of armed
hordes not only smiting with bayonet and cannon, but accompanied and
preceded by swarms of typhus-bearing vermin.
Quoted in the Boston Review, April/May 2001

"The choice was clearly open: crush them with vain and unstinted force, or
try to give them what they want. These were the only alternatives and most
people were unprepared for either. Here indeed was the Irish spectre -
horrid and inexorcisable.
Writing in The World Crisis and the Aftermath, 1923-31

The unnatural and increasingly rapid growth of the feeble-minded and insane
classes, coupled as it is with a steady restriction among all the thrifty,
energetic and superior stocks, constitutes a national and race danger which
it is impossible to exaggerate... I feel that the source from which the
stream of madness is fed should be cut off and sealed up before another year
has passed.
Churchill to Asquith, 1910

One may dislike Hitler's system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If
our country were defeated, I hope we should find a champion as admirable to
restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations."
>From his Great Contemporaries, 1937

You are callous people who want to wreck Europe - you do not care about the
future of Europe, you have only your own miserable interests in mind.
Addressing the London Polish government at a British Embassy meeting,
October 1944

So far as Britain and Russia were concerned, how would it do for you to have
90% of Romania, for us to have 90% of the say in Greece, and go 50/50 about
Yugoslavia?
Addressing Stalin in Moscow, October 1944

This movement among the Jews is not new. From the days of
Spartacus-Weishaupt to those of Karl Marx, and down to Trotsky (Russia),
Bela Kun (Hungary), Rosa Luxembourg (Germany), and Emma Goldman (United
States)... this worldwide conspiracy for the overthrow of civilisation and
for the reconstitution of society on the basis of arrested development, of
envious malevolence, and impossible equality, has been steadily growing. It
has been the mainspring of every subversive movement during the 19th
century; and now at last this band of extraordinary personalities from the
underworld of the great cities of Europe and America have gripped the
Russian people by the hair of their heads and have become practically the
undisputed masters of that enormous empire."
Writing on 'Zionism versus Bolshevism' in the Illustrated Sunday Herald,
February 1920

Research by Amy Iggulden