Arctic Ice Melting Much Faster Than Thought: maybe they'll make amphibious SUVs

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 30 17:52:01 MST 2002

--- Mark Jones <markjones011 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> At 30/11/2002 09:48, you wrote:
>
> >The people who rule us are only in it for the
> money.
> >Most of the energy money is invested in fossil fuel
> >technologies.  The science and technology exist to
> run
> >internal combustion engines on hydrogen.
> Capitalism
> >is the true fetter on producion.  It's basically
> set
> >for self-destruct now.  Hopefully, we'll wake up
> >before the whole shit-house goes up in flames and
> set
> >up a society of our own, one where the condition
> for
> >the freedom of each is the condition for the
> freedom
> >of all.
>

> This is wrong. It is pure happy-happy self-delusion
> to suppose that
> hydrogen is an alternative to petroleum. People
> ought to understand by now
> the very simple and basic rules of physics and of
> thermodynamics which
> explain why hydrogen is not an alternative to fossil
> fuel, any more than
> electricity is. H2 carried in bottles or pipelines,
> like electricity
> carried in batteries or over cables, is an energy
> *carrier* not a primary
> source of energy. Like electricity, H2 has to be
> generated and there are
> only 2 large scale ways of doing so: my nuclear
> power or by, yes, burning
> fossil fuels. Anyone who suggests that hydrogen can
> be made freely
> available without the expenditure of even more
> fossil fuel (and hence,
> release of GHG) than is contained energetically in
> the generated hydrogen,
> is peddling the modern equivalent of perpetual
> motion machines. Stop
> dreaming that there is some alternative to fossil
> fuel which will let
> capitalist urban industrial society continue in the
> same old way but using
> some other 'cleaner' etc energy-input. It won't
> happen, can't happen, and
> this is why capitalism as a historical social order
> is going to END, one
> way or another.
>
> Mark

I disagree Mark see my earlier post on hydrogen.  Time
to organize the power to change this set of
circumstances is now.  There is power in the union:
http://www.iww.org/

Remember.....

"Scientists do not believe the thawing trend
> is reversible. 'This change
> is already taking effect,' Mr. Agnew said. 'The
> whole system is very slow to
> start and also very slow to stop.'"

kinda says it,
doesn't it?

Best,
Mike B)

=====
"Man first begins to philosophize when the necessitites of life are supplied."  Aristotle

"determinatio est negatio"  Spinoza

"There are no ordinary cats."  Colette

http://au.profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal