Picture Perfect

Marc Rodrigues cuito61 at onebox.com
Wed Sep 4 06:03:47 MDT 2002

"The 1967 War in the Middle East and its catastrophic aftermath arrived
within eight months of OSPAAAL’s establishment, and the occupation of
Sinai, the West Bank and the Golan Heights became an instant cause célèbre
for OSPAAAL’s newly-recruited artists. For many art historians and archivists,
this era is the creative peak of poster art in the country.

The output that offered support for Arab peoples was both an expression
of the righteousness of armed struggle against imperialism and another
large stick with which to beat its capitalist enemy and neighbour, the
United States.

Cuba’s own war of self-determination against Spanish rule in the early
part of the century had been thwarted and eventually compromised by American
intervention, and the island’s vassal status remained intact until the
1959 revolution. Cuban sympathy for those groups fighting similar wars
of resistance was, therefore, widespread and genuine. As well as recognising
the Palestinian, Syrian and the Lebanese struggle, posters voiced outrage
at American action in Vietnam and support for Central African regimes
attempting to break free from Britain’s lingering colonial instincts."

[Full: http://palestinechronicle.com/article.php?story=20020904041532150]

--*--
Marc Rodrigues
Voicemail: 866.206.9067 x4217
Students for a Free Society: http://qcsfs.tripod.com

"I cock back tha sling to stone a settler
And breaks him off clean, call me the upsetter"
-Zack de la Rocha