: (UK)SWP, CANF - spot the difference

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 5 07:31:07 MDT 2002

>But José, aren't there a lot of people in the organization you just joined,
>Solidarity, who hold views on Cuba similar to those of the British SWP?
>
>This is not to say that I think you were wrong to join Solidarity. But I do
>look forward to your campaign within that group to clarify their position on
>Cuba. Good luck!
>
>Richard

Of course. That being said, a "state capitalist" analysis in of and by
itself should not be a split question. One of the greatest Marxist thinkers
of the last 50 years held such a theory--I am speaking of CLR James. The
problem is that the Cliffites have made that theory a litmus test, until
recently at least. When Alex Callinicos and Daniel Bensaid met to discuss
possible collaborative efforts, that was a good sign. In general, the focus
for party-building must be immediate questions in the class struggle. For
example, there is little doubt in my mind that Cliffites and Mandelistas
would have the same general orientation in opposing a war against Iraq, etc.

There should be room for varying ideological and theoretical
interpretations in the Marxist movement, especially over questions that do
not have immediate relevance. The only problem with Solidarity, in my
opinion, is that those with the most vociferous anti-Cuba perspective tend
to dominate the pages of Against the Current, their monthly publication
that I have been extremely critical of over the past 2 years or so around a
range of questions. You have people contributing to the magazine who are
hardened long-standing Stalinophobes, who were either trained in the
Draperite movement (David Finkel) or who have developed those kinds of
politics in academia (Susie Weissman and Sam Farber).

The ex-SWP'ers who ended up in Solidarity tend to be less emphatic as a
group and much more interested in questions that are in their immediate
bailiwick. For example, Malik Miah focuses on Indonesia and Alan Wald on
black or leftwing culture. I think it is extremely good that Jose has
joined Solidarity. I would hope that he writes a long article refuting some
of the garbage that Sam Farber has written in ATC.

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org