Response to David McReynolds on endorsing October 26 national antiwar protest called by ANSWER, IAC

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Wed Sep 11 11:20:58 MDT 2002

I think I disagree sharply with David McReynolds' opposition to endorsing
the October 26 demonstration against the war with Iraq called for by Answer
and International Action Center.
He writes: "This is the same tired old Workers World group. Surely we can do
better than endorse their action."

 One measure of whether
"we" (what is the definition of a "we" that excludes Workers World,
I wonder? Is it everyone in the world except Workers World, every one
against the war except Workers World, or is some other dividing line being
drawn?) can "do better" is our capacity  that we sieze the opportunities
that are  in front of us.

An antiwar action has been scheduled for Washington DC on October 26.  It is
actually possible that the U.S. will already be at war in that time, but
surely another major demonstration will be needed about that time.

I think the existing coalitions and groups should all "do better" than
Workers
World or anybody else could possibly do alone by building this action,
attempting to make speakers lists and broader and more inclusive, and
bringing
their own contingents, signs, slogans, chants, and political literature.

It will be very difficult to create new, inclusive, broad coalitions between
now and that date (it took more about two months to put together the core of
the  coalition
that built the modest-sized but politically extremely important and  vitally
necessary September 8 protest in New York City -- a genuine act of defiance
of the utterly false "national unity" being imposed on the country in the
name of  the special importance and special martyrdom of "our" American
dead).

 I think that to effectively boycott the October 26 action because one
objects to
Workers World in the name of one or another "we" is, in the given
circumstances, to subordinate the fight against the war to sectarian
considerations.

The road to a broad, inclusive antiwar movement begins with acting together
to support the actions that are before us. Building the October 26
demonstration under these circumstances  will aid us in our efforts to "do
better" not only than Workers World but than all of us have done in the
past.

Meanwhile, I hope to see everyone at the protest against Bush's war speech
tomorrow (Thursday, Sept. 12) at the United Nations, 9:30-1, Dag
Hammarskjold Plaza, 47th and
Second Avenue (that's the only available entrance, apparently).
Fred Feldman
Fred Feldman