Fwd: Re: Who's a Leftist?

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 04:54:13 MDT 2002

I suppose that's true, if by "Left" The Nation only means "left of center."
But you wouldn't expect to see, say, Richard Gephardt or William Reich on a
Nation list of Leftists. It seems like The Nation sees The Left as a pretty
narrow band ranging from maybe Paul Wellstone to Barbara Ehrenreich. Not to
get too scholastic about it, I'm wondering what qualifies (and
disqualifies) a person to be a member of this small club, most of whose
members are looking more and more like Scoop Jackson Democrats.

Jake