Kim Hunter

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 12 08:28:08 MDT 2002

NY Times, Sept. 12, 2002
Kim Hunter, 79, Actress Lauded in 'Streetcar,' Is Dead
By RICK LYMAN

Kim Hunter, whose eclectic 60-year career included an Oscar, two Emmy
nominations and a Broadway triumph with her portrayal of Stella in the
legendary 1947 debut of "A Streetcar Named Desire," died on Wednesday at
her New York apartment. She was 79.

A founding member of the Actors Studio whose screen career was temporarily
derailed by the Hollywood blacklists of the 1950's, Ms. Hunter was recently
hospitalized for a fall and had been in declining health. She died of a
heart attack in her apartment above the Cherry Lane Theater in the West
Village, said her daughter, Kathryn Emmett.

Ms. Hunter caught the acting bug in elementary school and was never a snob
about the roles she chose, mixing highly demanding parts with smaller ones
in B-movies, long stints in regional theater, television guest appearance
and even a running role on an ABC soap opera, "The Edge of Night," in 1979
and 1980.

But without doubt the roles for which she is most remembered are Stella
Kowalski, Marlon Brando's passionate and beleaguered wife in the stage and
film versions of Tennessee Williams's "Streetcar Named Desire," and Dr.
Zira, the coquettish simian with a fondness for Charlton Heston in the 1968
film "Planet of the Apes."

The role of Stella also won her an Academy Award for best supporting
actress when the director Elia Kazan adapted his Broadway production to the
screen. The scenes of an anguished Stanley Kowalski (Mr. Brando),
disheveled and grimy, screaming up to his wife — "Stella!" — in the
backyard of their seedy New Orleans home, and of Ms. Hunter's sexually
charged descent on a winding staircase into his arms, have become iconic
cinematic moments.

Feisty, occasionally profane, Ms. Hunter frequently told interviewers that
she had no use for the trappings of Hollywood stardom that had always
eluded her.

"The work itself has been my life," she said in 1999. "I was never in this
for jazzy stardom, and as far as that's concerned, I've never had it.
Doesn't matter to me."

Ms. Hunter was born in Detroit, and her father died four years later. Her
mother and stepfather moved the family to Miami Beach when she was 10, and
there she developed a taste for the theater.

"I was lonely growing up," she said. "My only brother was nine years older
and had little time for me. So I picked friends out of books and played
let's-pretend games, acting out their characters before a mirror."

Before long she had an acting coach and made her stage debut at 17 in the
title role of "Penny Wise" at the Miami Women's Club. Later she took roles
with stock companies around the country. At the Pasadena Playhouse in
California, in "Arsenic and Old Lace," she was spotted by a talent scout
and signed to a contract with the producer David O. Selznick.

For her 1943 screen debut, Selznick loaned her to the horror-film producer
Val Lewton, for whom she played a young woman battling devil worshipers in
"The Seventh Victim."

Shortly afterward, Ms. Hunter took a supporting role in the Ginger Rogers
film "Tender Comrade," about young women living communally during World War
II, a film that struck some as pro-Soviet. It was cited, years later, as a
reason that her name appeared in "Red Channels," a 1950's pamphlet naming
suspected Communist sympathizers.

Ms. Hunter, a liberal Democrat, had been a vocal supporter of civil rights,
though she never belonged to the Communist Party. She said she traced her
problems with the blacklist to a world peace symposium that she helped
sponsor in 1949. No one ever announced that she was on a blacklist, she said.

"Gradually it became sort of clear," she said. "I think CBS was first. I
was on the blacklist at CBS. No more CBS television. Then I think ABC
dropped out and then, finally, it was NBC. And then by that time, I won my
Oscar for the movie of `Streetcar,' but I could not work in films. The last
film I made was in 1951."

Her hiatus from the screen lasted until 1956, when she appeared opposite
Bette Davis in "Storm Center," about book-burning. "I thought, uh-oh, here
we go again," she said. But her political problems did not reignite.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/12/obituaries/12HUNT.html

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org