Forwarded from Nestor (thanks on Haggard query)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 13 12:25:37 MDT 2002

Well, as I guessed, this list proved to be a gold mine (once again)!

1. Thanks to all of you who answered (either on the list or privately)
to my enquiry re: Haggard.

2. I think I owe you an explanation.

I will tell you, more or less, what the path of my thoughts was.

I had read somewhere about Haggard´s full rejection of the current
Bushite trend towards corporative order inside USA and war outside USA.

The guy was presented as a working-class bard who had been supporting
the war of Viet Nam. If true, then this might be offering some advice on
unmapped trends in the consciousness of  the American working class, I
thought (as you may imagine, it is not unimportant for us in Latin
America to understand the hidden creeks in the consciousness of the
American people).

So that I made a search, and found out that a few songs had interesting
lyrics (did not actually _listen_ to them), giving what I felt to be a
very honest though self-centered (selfish in a _class_ sense) view of
the life and toils of American working class. Of course, you can tell me
that it is not the view "of the class", but of a _mythical fraction_ of
that class. Maybe.

However, I would like to know whether this view is shaping the
consciousness the American working class has of herself, or not. And if
it is, then the question is whether this could be explained _just and
only_ by ideological pressure from above. I sensed a tone of vital truth
in some of the songs I read.

3. The "rightwing anarchist" definition that someone threw on the list
helped me a lot. But (and of course, I might most probably be missing
the point outrageously) whenever something smells of working class
origin, I remember Marx´s definition in the _Manifesto_ where he stated
something to the effect that "Communists are not separated from the
working class and its many manifestations; only that we try to establish
our tactics according to our strategic goal, the ellimination of
capitalism".

So that I just wanted to know what could this piece of American
working-class ideology mean. If this Haggard is a representative of the
conservative tendencies within the working class, he is a representative
of the working class nevertheless, and I would daringly say that
discovering the truthful core of lived class experience beneath the
scorched land of know-nothingness may perhaps help cdes. in the USA to
generate your own path towards revolution.

If (as I collect from some of the postings) Haggard represents ordinary
conservative workers, then his lyrics should contain something worth
thinking about. And if he doesn´t but others do, then it is _their_
lyrics that should be listened to. My general view is that we Marxists
can not leave voices from the working class unheard (this does not mean
that we should lull them; just pay attention to the sounds from the class)

4.  Your comments have been enlightening. Info on "overseas" Ulster
Planters keeping their ideology and function in the Alleghennys, in
particular, is most insightful. But it poses, for us Marxists, a new
question: is the eviction of the First Nations enough to understand the
persistence of the Ulster Planter ideology, provided it _actually_
persisted? I woul not dare contest any view, since I am not American,
but I smell a breeze of Idealism there.

Well, this is all I had on the issue. Thank you all.

--

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org