Hobsbawm --> Kim Philby, & Frank Ryan

Mark Jones markjones011 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 05:30:36 MDT 2002

At 20/09/2002 09:52, you wrote:
>Mark's mention of Kim Philby reminded me of a conversation I had with
>Carl Geiser who was the 15th Internationale Brigade commissar for the
>MacPaps captured by Italian fascists on April 1, 1938.

Philby went to Spain as I think the Times or telegraph's loudly pro-Franco
correspondent; that was the first cover the NKGB gave him. There are lots
of storiesabout that period of his life, and lots of lies and smears
too.  But the NKGB was right: making him violently pro-Franco immediately
made Philby highly acceptable to the British establishment and MI6; it made
him one of them, a regular guy. They couldn't wait to recruit him. Hmmm.

Mark