Cyber-Sabotage??

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 21 08:33:54 MDT 2002

M. Junaid Alam wrote:

>No one should really be surprised by this; combined with the multi-million
>dollar ad campaign soon to run in 100 cities sponsored by more Zionist
>organizations about the wonderfulness of Israel, it is an attempt to stem and
>silence recent anti-imperialist and anti-Zionist trend that is inevitably
>growing, as evidenced by the inability of Netanyahu to speak at a Canadian
>University.

NY Times, Sept. 21, 2002
Harvard President Sees Rise in Anti-Semitism on Campus
By KAREN W. ARENSON

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Sept. 20 -- Harvard University's president, Lawrence
H. Summers, used a quiet prayer meeting on the first day of classes here
this week to condemn what he termed growing anti-Semitism at Harvard and
elsewhere.

But while he labeled his remarks unofficial, they are setting off
ripples on this campus, where students and professors have demanded that
Harvard remove all Israeli investments from its endowment.

While Mr. Summers has drawn praise in some quarters for taking a stand,
some in the academic community accused him of shutting off discussion.

"We are essentially being told there can be no debate," said John Assad,
an assistant professor of neurobiology at Harvard medical school who
signed the Harvard divestment petition. "This is the ugliest statement
imaginable to paint critics as anti-Semitic."

Others, however, praised Mr. Summers for stepping into the debate.

"His remarks were very important," said Abraham H. Foxman, national
director of the Anti-Defamation League. "What's frightening is that
we've been seeing the rise in anti-Semitism again, and there are so few
people willing to stand up and say anything."

Mr. Summers, who described himself in his speech as "Jewish, identified
but hardly devout," declined to comment today, saying he wanted his
remarks to stand on their own.

In his morning prayer address on Tuesday in Memorial Church, Mr. Summers
said he saw anti-Semitic actions on the rise in academic communities
around the world.

"Serious and thoughtful people are advocating and taking actions that
are anti-Semitic in their effect if not their intent," said Mr. Summers,
referring both to the push for divestment and to actions by student
organizations at Harvard and other campuses to raise money for groups
found to have ties to terrorist groups.

"Where anti-Semitism and views that are profoundly anti-Israeli have
traditionally been the primary preserve of poorly educated right-wing
populists," he added, "profoundly anti-Israel views are increasingly
finding support in progressive intellectual communities."

His speech, which was reported first in The Harvard Crimson, is posted
on Mr. Summers's Web site...

(http://president.harvard.edu/speeches/2002/morningprayers.html).

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/21/education/21HARV.html

--