Greens demand business-friendly reforms

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Thu Sep 26 09:14:08 MDT 2002

I do not know whether this is common knowledge outside Germany, but the
German Greens are definitely to the right of the Social Democrats. This is
not just my opinion as a malevolent Marxist, but it is confirmed by today's
Financial Times (see below).

Johannes

East Germans and Greens likely to secure gains
By Haig Simonian and Hugh Williamson in Berlin
Published: September 26 2002 5:00 | Last Updated: September 26 2002 5:00
[...]
The Greens have indicated they expect to play an enhanced role in government
after their strong election result.
[...]
Ahead of Wednesday's talks, the Greens urged the SPD to endorse more
business-friendly reforms to the rigid labour market, signalling that the
government's plans to reduce unemployment could be a stumbling block.
Christine Scheel, the Greens' finance expert, said proposals to encourage
the creation of low-income "mini-jobs" should be made more attractive to
companies - a stance opposed by trade unions and sections of the Social
Democrats.

Full article
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N27352BE1